2.24.2013

Homemade Honey Hair Treatment


I received several messages in response to earlier posts discussing  the use of raw honey as part of a skin care regimen.

One reader shared with me that she uses honey as a hair treatment.


It was my turn to be intrigued.

I had never put honey on my hair.
Well, not intentionally, anyways.  

As part of my beauty regimen, and for consumption,  I use only local, raw honey {which you can read more about here and here}.


I combed the internets in search of a recipe for a natural, homemade hair treatment, 
with honey as an ingredient.  


I found lots of variations, but here is what I settled on:

Hair Treatment Recipe

Ingredients:
one egg yolk 
one tablespoon of raw honey
one tablespoon of olive oil

How-To:
Mix together.

Shampoo hair.  While hair is damp, apply the mixture.  
Bee Be sure to massage it into the scalp, and don't forget the ends.
Put a shower cap over hair, and leave on for 20 minutes.

Then, rinse with lukewarm water.


Some recipes said to microwave the honey mixture for a few seconds.  I don't own a microwave, so I didn't.  I suppose it would make the mixture thinner and easier to apply. 
It worked fine at room temperature


The honey makes it very sticky.
It was odd to pour something of that consistency on my hair. 
Also, rinsing was not so quick.


However, I think it was worth it.


This treatment made my hair very soft.
And shiny.
I will certainly try it again.
Maybe even with some variations. 

Have you ever used honey as part of your hair care?


I'm looking forward to the Oscars tonight.  
If you're like me, and will be enjoying the festivities from a not-so-glamorous location {read: from home}, why not slather honey on your hair, wrap your head in plastic, tap into your inner Joan Rivers, and settle in for a little armchair-fashion-police fun?
A bonus...you'll have red carpet worthy hair in no time!



No comments:

Post a Comment