1.25.2013

What I'm Wearing: A Wintry Frock


Is there anything that makes you feel more like a lady than the perfect dress?

Especially, the perfect cocktail dress?



I have been on a hunt for a black lace cocktail dress.  While I have found several contenders, they were all outside of the budget I had set for myself.

My obsession interest started around mid-November.

I believe it directly correlates to all the hype surrounding the film, Anna Karenina.  The film was released to select screens (read: nowhere nearby) at that time.

Have you seen these costumes?  Swoon.  Worthy.





Perhaps you're wondering how my mind translated the above images  into:
must-have-black-lace-cocktail-dress? 

I have no idea.  I don't understand the workings of the human brain. 



What I do know is that I found the dress.

Here.


It is also available in teal and deep coral.

I am shorter than this model.  The under layer hits right above my knee, the lace just covering the knee...so,  the dress is a bit more conservative on me.  Which is my style.  


It is by Blaque Label, and my first purchase from that company. 



For a dress this well made, it is a great price point.  

I get a lot of mileage out a black cocktail dresses, so I think this one is a good value.  I love the high neck.   And the detailing is beautiful. Some reviewers on the site complained that the shell is polyester and, therefore, sub-par.  In this case, I think you get what you pay for.  This dress does not cost $400.00+.

Here are a few details:




The hem. 





Blaque Label's website includes a Press Blog, so if you're interested, you can see how others (read: those more famous than this author) have styled the dress. 

 Including this gal, who took a more avant-garde approach:



I plan to make full use of the included slip.  

I will be wearing the frock to a party celebrating the local historic preservation society in the town where I labor.  The guest of honor is photographer Ben Martin.



While working for TIME Magazine, he captured this image of the Kennedy family, which was cleverly incorporated into the invitation.

He has had an amazing career.  Do look him up if you aren't familiar.


Although the event will take place at the historic depot, I doubt I will hop a train back to St. Petersburg at the conclusion of the party, nor will Count Vronsky whisk me away for a sleigh ride...I also doubt this dress will inspire two Russian nobles to fight for my attention.*



Have any of you seen the film, Anna Karenina?  Or read the novel?  I am currently making my way through the novel at the approximate speed of smell.

I think it deserves to be savored. 

Wishing you the loveliest of weekends...




*Although I haven't finished the book, I do know (roughly) how it ends, so I'm not really all that jealous of AK. 

Shopping note:  Shopbop has great customer service, free shipping and free returns.  

3 comments:

  1. What shoes will you wear with this gorgeous dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is 20 degrees out, and the attendees will be a very conservative set, I plan to wear round-toe, black patent pumps. However I think a metallic shoe would be fantastic (especially for an evening wedding or a black-tie function) or even a leopard print pump if you were feeling more funky! I certainly think the dress should be the star here.

      Delete
  2. Funny that you are reading it I have wanted to read it for awhile now. My book club does not have it on it's list. PLus I have been reading a new Nicholas Sparks bookthat I got for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete