5.14.2013

The Farmhouse Kitchen: {Strawberry Shortcake}

It is strawberry season in my corner of the world.

There are few foods I love more than vine ripened fresh strawberries.

My favorite way to enjoy them is plain.

Just the way God prepared them.

My second favorite way is in old fashioned shortcakes.






Traditional shortcake is like a sweet biscuit or a scone.

Recipe

The berries:
1 quart strawberries
1/3 cup sugar

Rinse with cold water.  Drain.  Cut and slice.  Sprinkle with sugar. 
 Cover and let stand at room temperature for about an hour.

Whipped cream:
  I whipped a carton of cream.  I usually add about 2 tbsp of sugar while whipping. 
 Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
 If you prefer a topping like cool whip, that would work as well.  

Preheat oven to 425.

The cakes:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 stick butter, chilled
2/3 cup half and half

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in bowl.  
Stir well. 
 Cut chilled butter into cubes and add to the mixture.  
{Do that rather quickly so the butter doesn't get too warm.}  
I combine using my hands.  Breaking the butter up into pea size pieces.  



You could put all of these ingredients into a food processor and pulse to mix.

I prefer using my fingertips.  

Stir in the half and half {or milk or cream if you prefer}
Do not overwork.
Let the dough stand for a minute or so.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.  Fold the dough over, and knead, 2 or 3 times.  

Gently pat the dough out until it is about 3/4 inch thick.  
Cut into biscuits using a round cutter.  
Place them on buttered cookie sheet {I always line with parchment paper}
Brush on a little cream, and sprinkle a little sugar on top.  


Bake for 10 or 15 minutes.
Until golden brown.  

Cut each biscuit horizontally, using a serrated knife.  


Top with berry mixture.


Replace top. 
Top with a tablespoon or more of berries.
Top with whipped cream.  



I added a few mint sprigs for garnish. 






Is there a more perfect Springtime dessert?




*Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake recipe adapted from here.  




See this post and others here and here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Emily, these looks scrumptous!! And, you make shortcake just the way I like it using sweet biscuits as the cakes, with lots of freshly whipped cream. I wish strawberries were in season up here!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now my mouth is watering....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm these look absolutely delicious and beautiful! The perfect summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so wonderful! I would love it if you linked up to my Create It Thursday post...it's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-2-plus-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh.....can't wait for berry season in Maine. Still gotta wait a bit...Love this Andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have an art festival here every summer where one vendor sells the BEST strawberry shortcake I've ever had. Now I'm really looking forward to it!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just planted my berries yesterday (frost threat finally over - at least it should be!) Can't wait, can't wait! (did I mention I can't wait, lol)

    Thanks for the delish recipe :-)

    Hugs, Issy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing and scrumptious! Can I come over?? :) I also love thios time of year for food!

    ReplyDelete